Cabbage pancakes


I was always intimidated by these Japanese-style cabbage pancakes. I simply did not have the right fishy proteins and umami ingredients. Then, one day, I had a fresh, tender, green cabbage at hand, and I surrendered my hang-ups and just went for it. This recipe turned out to be delicious, although I am sure it is a far cry from its authentic Japanese counterparts.
Ingredients
4-5 cups shredded cabbage
3-4 green onions
2 eggs
0.5 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 cup flour

Preparation
Shred the cabbage and salt lightly. Set aside for an hour.

Make sure the cabbage you get is super tender and thin sliced. The store-bought, shredded packages are not great for this.


Whisk the wet ingredients. Whisk in the flour. Squeeze out the cabbage and fold in. Mix in the thin-sliced scallions.

Preheat a skilled on medium-high with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Spread a quarter of the mixture onto the bottom and cover with a lid. Cook for about 5 minutes, until bottom is browned. 


Flip over and brown the other side as well.

Serve with a sauce prepared from mayo, hoisin sauce, a little soy sauce, and sriracha.

Comments