Dilly beans

 

This summer, for the first time ever, instead of traveling I planted a luscious garden. We got large quantities of all kinds of fresh produce. I can't say i was always happy with the watering responsibilities, or with not being able to travel. However, I can say I was always happy eating some of the fresh produce from our yard. Some gophers and voles were also delighted to share in the bounty. One of my favorite garden treasures were the purple string beans, much of which i turned into delightful jars of spicy dilly beans. Interestingly, my baby loves these, even though they are super spicy!

Ingredients

1-2 pounds of green beans

2 cups white vinegar (5% in the US)

2 cups water

3 tbsp salt

2-3 cloves of garlic

pepper flakes

dill weed

Preparation

Wash and trim the beans. 

Place a garlic clove and a teaspoonful of chili flakes, plus a sprig of dill into each mason jar. Stuff the beans into the jars.

Bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil and pour onto the beans. Poke out any air bubbles. Seal and boil in a canner. Or store in the fridge for a few days before serving.

Comments