Caramel chocolate coins

As my other chocolate recipe, this also came from Chef John. I had some extra heavy cream, and needed a good way to use it. This recipe has been at the back of my mind for a while now, and finally I made it, tried it, and I have to admit, for being a chocolate hater, I quite liked it.

Ingredients
6 oz (170g) of dark chocolate
0.25 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp granulated white sugar
coarse salt


Preparation
Break up the chocolate into a metal bowl. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then turn off the heat under it. Place the bowl of chocolate bits on top and set aside. The chocolate should partially melt.

Take a dry pan and add 1 tbsp of sugar to it, spreading it out a bit. Heat on medium for 15-20 minutes to slowly melt. Do not burn, just brown the sugar. When it starts to form big bubbles, carefully pour in the heavy cream. Keep heating until the caramel dissolves (this should happen pretty quickly, if it doesn't, you may need to turn up the heat).

When the caramel dissolved into the cream, pour the mix onto the chocolate bits. Mix until it becomes smooth.

Quickly spoon onto a baking sheet covered with plastic wrap. I used teaspoonfuls, you can use larger or smaller portions, as desired. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of salt.

Cover with another piece of plastic wrap and press down on it carefully with another baking sheet. Place into the fridge until it solidifies.


Toss with some cocoa powder to coat.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you liked it :-)
    Next time I will be making coconut-white chocolate ones. For me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment