Hot chocolate truffle rocks

This was my Valentine's day project for my husband. We don't really celebrate the holiday, but we do celebrate every weekend. This particular weekend happened after not having seen each other for two weeks, due to some work-related scheduling.

I might have mentioned already, that I don't like chocolate. My husband likes it for me too. So I set to work on Chef John's hot chocolate rocks recipe. I wish I could say I turned out delicious. I was tempted enough to try it, and after forcing myself to swallow it, I sadly concluded that I still do not like chocolate.

It did get a better rating from Petar. He said that the chocolates tasted like the inside of my molten chocolate lava cake, which may be his favorite dessert. So, for all of you chocolate lovers...

Ingredients
0.5 pound dark chocolate
0.5 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
cocoa powder

Preparation
Chop your chocolate in small bits. Place into a bowl. Add the salt and cayenne.

Heat the heavy cream in a pan on medium-high until it's boiling. Pour onto the chocolate bits.

Allow to sit for three minutes undisturbed.

Then slowly begin stirring with a spatula, until it becomes smooth and glossy.

Scoop onto an approximately 9x11 inch plastic foil, to form a log. Cover with the loose end of the foil and form into a longish shape. Allow to cool in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, dice into irregular 'rock' shapes. Toss them in cocoa powder.

At this point, you can store them at room temperature. Tasty! (If you like chocolate...)

Comments

Post a Comment