Pumpkin ravioli


This was an experiment. It failed for multiple reasons, but half of the product was eaten nevertheless. Eaten with great gusto, I should add.
I've been craving pumpkin ravioli for a while now, and no good came of it. The frozen versions I tried were overly salt (really, I could not taste anything but salt). So I finally resorted to making my own. I also had this nifty ravioli press on hand...which ended up being the major cause of failure. Apparently, I was supposed to have the common sense of flouring it liberally (which I did not do). Consequently, everything stayed stuck in the shape. Well, that portion went in the garbage.
The next round I did by hand and with a pizza cutter. They turned out much better. I think next time I may brown the ravioli in some butter in a skillet before adding the sauce.

Ingredients
dough:
250g flour
1 egg
salt
water

filling:
0.5 cup pumpkin puree
3 tbsp grated parmesan
1 packet vanilla sugar
sugar
0.25 tsp almond extract
salt
0.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice

sauce:
0.5 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp butter
0.25 cup almond paste
2 tbsp sugar
salt


Preparation
Mix the flour with sufficient salt to ensure the sough is not 'flat'. Add the egg and enough water to bring to a soft, elastic dough. Knead until smooth, allow to rest for 15 minutes, covered.

Mix the pumpkin with the other ingredients for the fillling.


Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Roll out half of the dough to be 1-mm-thick, on a well-floured surface. Spoon half-tablespoon portions onto the dough, about an inch apart. Cover with other sheet of dough. Press together around mounds of filling.


Cut up using a pizza cutter. Boil until cooked, about 4-5 minutes. Remove into your choice of sauce. Serve immediately.

The above sauce can be prepared by pulsing the almond paste with the sugar in a food processor, then adding the heavy cream and the butter, plus salt to taste. The mix can then be brought to a simmer.

Comments