Cream scones

I had extra heavy cream ready to expire (ok, I admit, it already expired, but did not taste bad yet), so I was in urgent need of a recipe that uses heavy cream. Few natural laws seem to govern our household, one of these is the disappearance of scones. If they are in the freezer, they won't be there for long...if they are just out of the oven, they won't be there for long...in fact, if they can be found anywhere in our house, they will be gone in no time. No need to mention that another rule states that no food shall go wasted (occasionally a minimum amount does have to be thrown away, and I blame myself endlessly for my careless planning).

So instead of my favorite buttermilk scones, cream scones appeared on our table this time. They did not disappoint, but I have to say: buttermilk wins this race in my field.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
0.25 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
0.25 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1 egg
0.5 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla

Preparation
Mix dry ingredients, crumble in refridgerated butter. Place mixture back into fridge. Mix cream with egg and vanilla. Chill thoroughly.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.

Pour cream mixture into flour mixture. Work gently until it just comes together. Do not knead too much. On a floured surface press into a 0.75-inch-thick layer. Cut out 3.5-inch discs. Place onto cookie sheet.

Brush top with milk, sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes, until just lightly browned. Cool on sheet for 2 minutes, then move to cookie rack. Serve with lemon curd.

Comments