Swiss chard

I always look for ways to feed green things to my husband. I have to admit, this wasn't his favorite, but I did like it. A bunch of chard really only feeds two people as a side dish. The volume reduction is incredible. The chard has a mild taste, and with the lemon juice it worked very well as a side dish for teriyaki salmon.
Look for the fresh, non-wilted leaves. The quality of the chard I found was hugely different between the two supermarkets I visited. Even better, get this from the farmers' market, or your garden!

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch Swiss chard
2 cloves garlic
0.5 small onion
0.5 cup white wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan

Preparation
Wash the chard and remove the leaves from the stems. Cut the leaves into 1-inch-wide strips. Chop the stems into 0.25-inch pieces.

In a large pan melt the butter and heat together with the olive oil. Add the onion and sautee for 4 minutes, add the garlic for 30 seconds, then stir in the chard stem pieces. Add in the wine and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the chard leaves and cook until wilted (this will not take long). Stir in the lemon juice and the Parmesan. Serve.

Comments