Chicken and broccoli casserole

I'm not a fan of mac and cheese. In fact, last time I was asked if there was any food I didn't like, the only thing I could think of was mac and cheese. It's boring.
Then I ran into some homemade versions that use cheddar cheese, and the "mac and cheese" concept was somewhat salvaged in my eyes. Not completely. It's still pretty low on my favorites list. But my husband likes it a lot. The homemade version that is.

Ingredients
1 chicken breast
4 slices of bacon
8 oz broccoli
8 oz gemelli
0.25 cup butter
0.25 cup flour
1 tsp salt
0.25 tsp black pepper
1.25 cup milk
1 cup cream
2 cups cheddar
4 oz mozzarella

Preparation
Cover the chicken breast with the bacon slices, then bake at 400F covered with aluminum foil. Allow to cool. Dice.

Chop the broccoli, grate the cheddar and slice the mozzarella.

Cook the pasta, drain, set aside.

Melt the butter and fry up the flour on it until it smells like the Maillard reaction (the reaction that takes place when bread browns). Add the salt and pepper, then quickly stir in the cold milk and cream to avoid knotting.

Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, until thick. Mix in the cheddar.

Fold in the pasta, chicken and broccoli.

Place into a baking dish and top with the mozzarella. Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes, until the top browns.

Comments