Strawberry strip cookies

Jam strips, or as a friend of mine called these "strawberry strippers". Well, they are quite pleasing, but I leave it to you to decide whether they can compete with strippers :-)

Ingredients
0.5 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
0.75 tsp almond extract
1.5 cups flour
strawberry jam
4 oz chocolate
2 tbsp butter

Preparation

Soften the butter. Mix in the sugar, eggs and almond extract with it. Mix until creamy. Mix in flour.

Roll into four cylinders. Press into a 1.5 inch-wide strip. Press an indentation in the middle.

Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Heat oven to 350F. Fill logs with jam on a cookie sheet.

Bake until edges are slightly browned and jam is bubbly.

Remove and cut into slices.

Melt the chocolate over steam and mix in the butter until smooth. Drizzle the top with the chocolate. You can also sprinkle these with almond slices.

Slice and serve!

I used some of the dough to make round cookies and dipped them into chocolate. They were tasty! You can also make small indentations in the round ones, fill them with jam, and cover the top with chocolate. Delicious and simple!

Comments

  1. How about the Hungarian cottage cheese pastries this weekend? They are a tad healthier :-) Or some more almond scones...oooh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do they store? Have some elderly aunts I've been considering making some "christmas" cookies for, but they probably won't disappear quite as fast there as they would in this household :P

    -Ane-Marthe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried to store them...their half-life in lab was about two hours :-) In a more-or-less airtight box or preferably frozen and thawed when needed they would probably store for a long time.
    Something like Linzer cookies would store forever, if you can resist eating them!
    Unfortunately my cookbook is in Vermont, so I don't have my grandmother's recipe here. But I will share it later. Here is another source:

    (http://www.joyofbaking.com/LinzerCookies.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freezing them sounds good -I've never tried to freeze "cookie"-like things, I freeze the dough if I make "too much".
    The Linzer cookies also look nice :D
    I'll look forward to your grandmother's recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment