Macedonian Russian salad

I call this Macedonian Russian salad, because this dish exists in Hungary as well (and I'm sure in several other countries), but we make it differently. I particularly enjoyed this Ruska Salata, as the pickles make it less heavy, and the sweet green peas redeem it from the category of unhealthy foods.

Ingredients
400g sweet green peas
250g ham
125g cheddar cheese
150g pickles
2-4 tbsp sour cream
2-4 tbsp mayonnaise

Preparation
Blanche the green peas and set aside to cool. Dice the cooked ham to 0.25 inch cubes.

Dice the cheddar cheese to the same parameters. Cut the pickles into slightly smaller pieces.

Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix in 2 tbsp mayo and 2 tbsp sour cream. If the salad is too dry, add more of each ingredient in the same one-to-one ratio.

Cool covered overnight. Serve with good crusty bread. You can mix in diced blanched carrots as well...but I'm not a fan.

Comments

  1. Yum!
    Hey carrots fit pretty well. Just add more mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I don't like the idea of carrots in it...you may need to persuade me :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment