Chocolate cream pie

My favorite pie is chocolate pie. On the occasions it was served in the dining hall during my college years, I never failed to inhale half a pie. This version is not too sweet, and the saltiness of the crust sets off the bitter edge off the chocolate and the sweetness of the whipped cream. I am not a chocolate fan. In fact, I don't like chocolate. But this dessert is irresistible.

Ingredients
1 pie crust
0.25 cup starch
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp good quality, unsweetened cocoa powder
0.25 tsp salt
2 cup milk
4 oz equal or less than 60% cocoa chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream

Preparation
Bake the pie crust according to the instructions on the box. I will not attempt pie crust without proper equipment, but unfortunately the shop-bought alternatives remain inferior. Hopefully at some point I can reproduce this with a proper pie shell.

Chop the chocolate.

Mix the dry ingredients in a pot, except the chocolate. Whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.

Fold in the chocolate and vanilla. Pour into cooled pie shell.

Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for 3 hours.

Before serving, whip up some cream with sugar and vanilla until hard peaks form. Start slow and increase the speed of the mixer. Make sure the cream is properly chilled.

Top the pie with the whipped cream. Indulge!

Comments

Post a Comment