Hungarian cottage cheese pastry

These delicious, moist and fluffy pastries are similar to Danishes, but the cottage cheese filling makes them less fatty and richer in protein. I enjoyed eating them for breakfast, but they are perfect as dessert, too. And for some reason I keep calling them Hungarianishes...when they really should be cottage cheese hungarians :-) I also have to mention, this is one of the best doughs I have ever worked with.

Ingredients
dough:
500g flour
300mL lukewarm milk
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp sugar
75g butter
2 egg yolks
2 tsp yeast

filling:
250g Hungarian cottage cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
grated zest of a lemon
1 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp semolina
1 egg

glaze:
1 egg white
1 tbsp water

Preparation
Bloom the yeast in a portion of the milk with the sugar. Meanwhile, sift the flour and cut in the butter.

Add in the eggs and the yeast mixture, as well as the remaining milk and the salt. Knead until smooth.

Coat with oil and allow to double in size. Meanwhile, mix the filling.

When the dough is ready, roll out into a 1 cm thick rectangle. Cut into 10cmx10cm squares.

Fill with the cottage cheese mix, and some jam, if you desire. Traditionally it's prepared with raisins...but I'm not a fan.

Brush with the beaten egg white and water glaze. Cover and allow to rise for 30-40 minutes again.

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

Allow to cool covered on a cookie rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Comments

  1. I could have these every morning! And I'm not usually hungry in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother made these but I could not find her recipe. Just want to know, do you punch down the dough before rolling? How thick to roll it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment