Hungarian rice cake

This is kind of a souffle, but I'm not sure it fits the technical definition. It used to be my favorite dish on cold winter evenings, after a long walk out in the icy weather. So, I'm posting it here in celebration of the 150th entry on this site.
16 people that 'follow' the blog, hopefully a few more who make use of some ideas here...and of course, the great benefit of being able to search my recipes easily. At the risk of losing all ability to impress and surprise with a tasty meal, I will continue posting my recipes here and revealing how simple it is to cook affordable, scrumptious and healthy food.

Ingredients
120g long grain white rice
500mL milk
100mL water
50g sugar
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
2 eggs
20g butter
1 tsp flour
chocolate or vanilla sauce

Preparation
Cook the rice in the milk and water, also adding the sugar. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat. Leave to cool overnight. Do not stir.
Mix the egg yolks with the butter and vanilla and add it to the cooked rice. Mix in the flour and fold in the egg whites whipped to form hard peaks.
Pour into a buttered, floured baking shape. Bake in a 320F preheated oven until it sets.

Allow to cool somewhat and serve either warm with cold sauce, or as I prefer it: cold with a warm chocolate or vanilla sauce.

Comments

  1. Congrats. How can there be so many already? I've only tried a few!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy cooking too much :-)
    Not really, but I pretty much cook 6-7 different things every weekend, and among them there are usually at least 3-4 new dishes. Plus during breaks I end up trying even more new stuff.
    If I had some money to spare, I would definitely try to attend the New England Culinary Institute for fun, to become a certified chef...or pastry baker. Which one is better? I love baking bread!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment