Traditional retes (Austro-Hungarian strudel)

I would like to make this once from scratch. The real thing, not made of Phyllo dough or puff-pastry, is so much better than the quick and easy versions. You have to try it once to truly appreciate it.

My favorites are the farmer's cheese (turo), sour cherry and ground poppy seed, squash and ground poppy seed versions. When well-made, one of the best things on Earth!

Check out this video on how an 88-year-old Hungarian grandmother stretches the dough.

I've learned so much about cooking from my grandmother, it makes me glad to see that people are trying to preserve this traditional knowledge.

Comments

  1. I made it from scratch once. My grandma thought I had lost my mind. :-) It took a lot of time to make 3 and they were gone in 10 mins tops. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! It looks hard...was it? I don't mind time consuming, but if it's going to rip, that's not very good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment