Beer battered fish

My mum usually breaded fish using the usual flour, eggs, home-made breadcrumbs coating. It's a delicious way to fry fish. But this particular recipe is to pay homage to a college favorite of ours. My husband has been craving this dish for a while before we decided to make it.

Why the delay? Well, I have to admit I'm not big on deep frying. Don't misunderstand me, it's not due to some health-related concern. I love fried food. It's actually all about my fear of smoke detectors. We don't have them in Hungary. Most houses don't. So I never got used to hearing them, and my goal is to never set one off. A note to myself: use a deep dish next time!

Ingredients
8 cod fillets (~2 pounds total)
1 cup flour
1 beaten egg
1 bottle of beer
black pepper, paprika and salt to taste
oil for frying

Preparation
Heat the oil (in a deep dish) to 190C. Season the fish pieces with salt and black pepper.

Mix the dry ingredients for the batter, then gradually add in the egg and finally the beer. The resulting batter has very low viscosity!

Dip the fish pieces to coat with flour, then quickly coat them in the batter and move them to the hot oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown. When done, remove them onto paper towels to drain excess oil.

Serve with fries, beer and hot sauce (if I'm among your guests)!

Comments

  1. I have the same fear of smoke detectors. They go off even when I can't see any smoke. When we deep fry, A. is standing ready to jump up and silence the machine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petar did too, until I called out in a panicky voice that the oil was smoking. At which point he ran back from the smoke detector and grabbed the pan to pull it off the heat. In doing so, he splashed some oil from my not-deep-enough pan onto the heating element, which instantaneously started REALLY smoking. Fun! :-)
    And then the fire alarm went off, and he needed to run back to disable it. So much excitement and adrenalin for a little fried fish :-)
    Oh, and we ended up with all the doors and windows open in a -20C nordic winter storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had beer battered fish (fish and chips) in Burlington's "Vermont Pub and Brewery". I must say that Livia's version competed quite well!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment