Hungarian fruit tart

The time has finally come to write my first blog entry.
I anticipate the theme of "Planet of the Crepes" will primarily revolve around cooking, it being my favorite pastime besides reading.

I chose Hungarian fruit tart as the first entry, because my dislike for chocolate and love for all things fruity have long defined my dessert experiences. The very first photo that features me in the company of a cake was taken on my first birthday. My mum prepared a fruit tart following the recipe I am about to share with you here. Back then we didn't have the special pie shape that I used to make this particular specimen, but it did not spoil the taste and there are many creative ways for baking the crust.

The recipe yields a softer, moist crust compared to the ones I usually encounter in US bakeries. If you like experimenting, give it a shot! It's simple, cheap and allows for plenty of creative modifications.



Ingredients
crust: 3 eggs, 120g of sugar, 100g flour, 70g unsalted butter.
filling: one instant or cooked vanilla pudding prepared according to the instructions on the box + fruits, one package of gelatin and 100mL cranberry juice.

Experimental section
Preheat the oven to 160°C (or 320°F for those inhabiting non-metric parts of the world). Thoroughly butter and flour your cake shape of choice.
Mix the melted butter with the eggs and the sugar. Add in the flour gradually and mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the baking shape and spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven until golden (if you are unsure whether it's done, insert a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean it's baked). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute in the shape, then flip out onto a plate.

While it's cooling prepare the vanilla pudding and the fruit. Fill it into the crust. Top with fruit. (My personal favorites are pineapple, kiwi and strawberry on this cake. They are truly delicious with the vanilla pudding.)
Prepare the gelatin according to the instructions on the package, using a fruit juice. When it's about to set distribute it on the cake. Allow it to cool, and serve!
Jo etvagyat! (Bon appetit!)

You can also prepare these as single-serve tarts:

Comments

  1. Oh, a gastroblog. And it's pretty. And plus points for the single-serve tarts. I am not a fan of fruit tarts as I don't like gelatin and love everything with choclate. ;-) But I would most definitely want one of the petit ones. May your blog flourish and may your beard grow longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finially opened!
    Congratulations!
    I'll get a lot of amazing recipes here
    Speaking for this one, I reproduce it for Kelsey's birthday, it's good! There is a picture on my facebook
    Thanks for your baking shape a ton again!
    -Jing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, never been big on chocolate. I do enjoy good chocolates in small amounts...but chocolate cake gives me a headache.
    Weird, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. but you are so good at making chocolate cake~
    and VT is great for chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fruit tart is among my top 5 desserts. On an unrelated note, I must add that the difficulty of getting the tart out of the baking shape is inversly proportional to the amount of butter that you used to grease the baking shape. Curiously, the time required to clean the baking shape (after the removal of the tart) is also inversly proportional to the amount of butter. I'm sure you scientists can draw up an equation for this...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment